Will I want to come back and listen to this one again sometime? (again sometime? Album Review)


You may remember Paul Russell from his late-summer hit Lil Boo Thang from last year, or his very small hit Say Cheese from earlier this year. He even has a song with Meghan Trainor in the abyss right now! Well, he just released a new EP called again sometime?, and I wanted to review! So, let's get into it!

#1: Homecoming (5/5)
Right off the bat, this one has really groovy production. Paul sounds really good here, and the harmonies throughout are great. The second verse is a beat switch, and it's not that great, but still pretty good. Then, it returns back and the rest is awesome. I enjoy this one.

#2: Slippin' (feat. Meghan Trainor) (5/5)
This is the only collab, and it's pretty good. It's a bit basic, and Paul doesn't sound great. Meghan's part is awesome though, and I like the production. The outro is also a nice touch to a pretty great song.

#3: Runnin' Right To You (2/5)
Second song in a row that has a apostrophe replacing a G, which is pretty weird. Paul has some weird vocal effect on this one that I do not like at all. The production isn't great either. This is, so far, the weakest song on the album.

#4: Lil Boo Thang (5/5)
This is one of the songs that you can't help but want to dance to. This song sampled The Emotions' Best of My Love, and it's a great sample. I definitely believe this one deserved the recognition it got, as it's such a banger. Super fun, and everything in this one is great. I wish it was a bit longer though, as it clocks in at 1:52...

#5: Say Cheese (4/5)
Another really fun one that also reached the countdown, and I definitely think it deserved it. Paul sounds a bit weird, but I kinda like it. The production is awesome, and it's overall a really great song that I wish actually did something.

#6: Twist My Arm (1/5)
Another song with really weird vocal effects on Paul, and the production isn't helping it. It's the basic R&B production I don't really like. Even when Paul doesn't have the vocal effects, his flow is awful. This is a really awful song.

#7: I'm Not People (2/5)
We've already reached the end? Wow. This is another pretty bad one, where Paul doesn't sound good and there's really mid production. It's a pretty disappointing way to end the album.

Overall Score: 25/35 (69%) - Decent
Favorite Songs: Lil Boo Thang, Homecoming
Least Favorite Songs: Twist My Arm, Runnin' Right To You

Radical Optimism has been replaced as my lowest scoring album, and I can definitely see why. This one had 3 REALLY weak songs, and 3 great ones. This one is also the first to reach the "decent" category, just barely missing the "good" category by 1 point! Even though this EP wasn't the greatest, it was still really fun to review. Thanks for reading, I'll see you guys in the next post!

Comments

Popular Posts