Should I keep this review Short and Sweet? (Short n' Sweet Album Review) [15,000 Pageviews Special PART 4]


Sabrina Carpenter just released her highly anticipated album, Short n' Sweet one week ago to today. Short n' Sweet was led by two MONSTER hits, Espresso and Please Please Please. I figured I should review this album to see what I think of the other 10 songs!

#1: Taste (5/5)
A very recurring theme throughout this album is the new love triangle between Sabrina, Camila Cabello, and Shawn Mendes. It's pretty complicated, so I'll explain it simply. Camila and Shawn, together. They break up, Sabrina goes with Shawn. They break up, and Shawn goes back to Camila. Basically this song is telling Camila that when she kisses Shawn, she'll "taste" her. Kind of a weird concept, but the song slaps so I don't care. Sabrina's voice is great here, and the production is great as well.

#2: Please Please Please (5/5)
The second single is funnily enough, the second song on the album. It's also the worst single of the 3 so far. I wrote a review kind of hating on this one, but I listened to it again, and it's pretty good! Sabrina gets annoying during the "I beg you, don't embarrass me" part, but to be fair that part's awkward to begin with. There's no good edit for that one, although mothertrucker is hilarious. The production gets a bit monotonous at times, but it's still really fun.

#3: Good Graces (5/5)
I love the production on this one so much. It's so fun. Also, I noticed she also said something about "talking cradles" in this one. Maybe she took inspiration from Tay, but we couldn't really know. Anyways, this song's just super fun, and Sabrina does sound great all around, unlike PPP. I actually love her voice in this one. Super fun song..

#4: Sharpest Tool (5/5)
This is the "slowest" song yet, but the production is still pretty upbeat. Sabrina's flow here sounds fantastic, and I do like the production. This one sounds weirdly clear, and I don't really know how to explain it. I feel like this will end up being one of the more forgettable songs on the album, but it's still really good.

#5: Coincidence (5/5)
I think this is another one about the love triangle previously mentioned. The production here is more acoustic than the other songs so far, but I kinda dig it. Sabrina's vocals are awesome here, and the whole song is weird but really good.

#6: Bed Chem (3/5)
So we're too lazy to spell chemistry now? Weird. The production on this one is pretty good, but Sabrina just doesn't sound great here. I think it's the notes but I don't really like the whiny voice that is somewhat common nowadays. Don't get me wrong, people can pull it off, but not often.

#7: Espresso (5/5)
We've arrived at most likely the biggest Pop song of the summer, and it definitely deserves that title. This is so fun. This is also an example of a song with that "whiny voice" that turns out to be a really good song. The production is fantastic, and Sabrina sounds really really great here. Coincidentally, this song also released on the same day as Illusion, a song in my last special post! This definitely ended up aging better than that one...

#8: Dumb & Poetic (4/5)
The first slow song here, and Sabrina pulls it off well. The vocals on this one are off the charts. It's pretty minimalistic production, but those types of songs can work sometimes. The production builds here, and it's awesome. I won't be coming back to this one, but it's still a pretty solid song

#9: Slim Pickins (3/5)
Some of these songs are weirdly country feeling, and this one is definitely one of those. Sabrina's voice is pretty decent here, and the production is solid. One of the funniest lines on the album is here, being "Since the good ones are deceased or taken". I don't know why, but that line made me laugh. There's also yet another Taylor paralell, when she says "moaning and b****ing". Yeah, Swifties can find similar lyrics anywhere... Anyways, this song is a pretty decent one, but it's not one going on my playlist.

#10: Juno (5/5)
I love this one. The production is so catchy, and I could see this being the next single after Taste peaks. Sabrina sounds super good here, and the bridge is awesome. I love when the bridge dies down at the start, but grows right back into the normal song. The little musical interlude is awesome, and the ending is great too. One of the best songs on the album.

#11: Lie To Girls (5/5)
This one starts off pretty slowly, but grows about halfway through the song. I love the production here, and Sabrina sounds really good. Towards the end there's this "rapid fire" section as I'd like to call it, and that's awesome. At the end there's a really weird outro section, which kind of makes me think that this song was meant to be the end but they added on the next song...

#12: Don't Smile
This song takes a turn on the classic saying "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" and twists it into "Don't smile because it happened, cry because it's over" which is GENIUS. The vocals on this one are great, and the production is not a lot, but it's good. The harmonies here are great, and it's a great ending to a great album.

BONUS 1: Needless To Say (5/5)
Sike! Sabrina learned from Taylor on how to get the #1 spot, and dropped 2 albums with a bonus track! This is the first one released, and the production here is awesome. She sounds awesome in this one, and that little outro is awesome.

BONUS 2: Busy Woman (5/5)
Sabrina wrote this song just after the album was submitted, so it couldn't be on the physicals, but I guess it could be on a digital! Sabrina sounds awesome on this one, and the production is so fun here. I hope both of the bonus tracks get released on streaming at some point, as they both deserve it so much.

Overall Score: 65/70 (93%) - Great
Favorite Songs: Juno, Busy Woman, Espresso
Least Favorite Songs: Bed Chem, Slim Pickins
Wow, what a greaT album. There were a couPle bad songs, but overall this album was Fantastic. I've founD some New songs to listen to, And I'm glad I reviewed this one! I'lL see you guys in the nExt album review hopefully tomorrow!

Comments

  1. ttpd finale!!!!! (also how was "future" relate to this album?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was gonna do future nostalgia but i changed plans. also i guess that this was in the "future" when i made the radical optimism review but that's it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts