I was Radically Optimistic for this album, but it is it a Radical Disappointment? (Radical Optimism Album Review) [15,000 Pageviews Special PART 3]


Dua Lipa released Radical Optimism quite a while ago, and beforehand she dropped three singles (Houdini, Training Season, and Illusion) which perfectly represented how the album would be. You'll see what I mean later...

#1: End Of An Era (3/5)
I find it very ironic that the start of a new era is called End Of An Era. This one's pretty good, but I don't really like the lower range here. It's also just a bit basic for my liking, and it demonstrates a very common problem for me with her music, the burn rate. Burn rate is how fast you get tired of a certain song, and Dua's burn rate for me is VERY high. 

#2: Houdini (2/5)
The lead single also happens to be the worst one imo. This one started off really good, but burned so fast it's all the way at a 2. Dua's voice is extremely annoying during the chorus, and the production is pretty good. The post-chorus is super annoying, and the ending is... interesting to say the least. I don't really think this deserved all that time at #1, and there's definitely a better song named Houdini that's come out in the last year.

#3: Training Season (5/5)
Hey, a good song! This one is really fun, and the production is awesome. This is the best single in my opinion. It's just so fun. I may also be a bit burnt out of the others, but they didn't overrate this one to the moon at least.

#4: These Walls (5/5)
This is the album track Hits 1 tried to push when it came out, but we all know that never happened. I wish it was one of the singles though, as it's a really good song. Dua sounds pretty good here and I love the production. It feels like a poolside song in my mind, and I think others would agree with that.

#5: Whatcha Doing (3/5)
This feels like a Kidz Bop song, and I don't know what way I mean that in. This song sounds really good but really bad at the same time, and I really don't know why. Dua sounds kind of annoying here, along with the production. Part of me wants to vibe along to this one, while the other part of me wants to hit skip...

#6: French Exit (2/5)
The drum rhythm is pretty cool, but that's really the only thing going for this one. Dua sounds really annoying here, and it all just sounds off. The production is kinda fun, but feels weird at the same time. Nothing really works together here in my mind, and I don't know why this one exists if I'm being honest.

#7: Illusion (3/5)
I'm really burnt out of this one, so I'm trying to review this one objectively. The production is really fun here, Dua's voice is somewhat annoying all around, but the chorus vocals are super annoying. The "dance all night"s are really annoying in my opinion as well.

#8: Falling Forever (3/5)
So that intro is very surprising to say the least. The production is okay here, and the vocals are pretty annoying. It's a fun song, but it's pretty annoying to listen to. Also, this is rumored to have a music video and be the next single, which I'm not really looking forward to really. They should've picked These Walls instead.

#9: Anything For Love (3/5)
Normally there are spoken outros, but this one has a spoken intro! Another surprising thing is it starts out as a ballad? Kinda weird for Dua, but she executes it very well. Then the production changes into some sort of groovy production, which isn't as great. Then it ends right as you think it's getting started... great! It also has a spoken outro as well, but it's not really. This feels like a song from one of the Sing movies (remember those?) if I'm being honest. It really should've been longer.

#10: Maria (5/5)
The guitar rhythm in this one sounds scarily similar to Die Young by Kesha, but no one seems to have picked up on that online yet, which is weird because it's super obvious. That's besides the point though. This is a really great song that I could totally see myself listening to. It's not annoying, and Dua sounds really good here.

#11: Happy For You (5/5)
I believe this one is about wishing your ex well, and she implements it very well. Dua sounds good for once on this one, along with the production. It's the longest song on the album, clocking in at 4:05. The end part is really nice, although having birds at the end is kind of an odd decision. It has a great ending vibe, and is one of the best songs on the album.

Overall Score: 39/55 (71%) - Good
Favorite Songs: Maria, These Walls
Least Favorite Songs: French Exit, Falling Forever
I may have been a bit harsh on this album, but it still classiFies as a good album. There were some low lows and some very high highs on this albUm, but I'm sTill glad I reviewed it! See yoU tomorRow when I post thE fourth part in this 15,000 pageview special!

Comments

  1. ah I see your doing clues for each post. the capitolize letter of the outro is FUTURE and that's gotta mean something? Idk tbh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts