Sunday, April 21, 2024

I actually did a big project! (I'M DOING IT AGAIN BABY! Review)

When Norwegian singer-songwriter and record producer Marie Ulven Ringheim or girl in red's song Too Much debuted Hit-Bound, I didn't really think much about it. I remembered Serotonin from years ago, and that she was an opener on Taylor Swift's Eras Tour (aka the best tour ever). By the time it debuted the countdown it had grown on me to a pretty good song.

Then DOING IT AGAIN BABY! got recommended to me, and that was an instant banger. That song is precisely why I got hyped when she was teaming up with fellow Eras Tour opener Sabrina Carpenter for You Need Me Now?. It instantly became my favorite of the three singles, which is why I got hyped for the album. Did it disappoint? Well, we're about to find out!

1. I'm Back (3/5):
The lead track is the worst one on the album. Not a great way to keep people enticed. While it's not a bad song, it's not too upbeat and it's a little bit bland for my liking.

2. DOING IT AGAIN BABY! (5/5)
This one tickles my theater brain. I love how the chorus goes up and down the scale, it somehow sounds amazing without out sounding childish. Also the crescendo in the "I'm doing it again" part makes it sound ten times better than without. I also love the fireworks there and the constant production changes. Fantastic song.

3. Too Much (5/5):
One thing I love in songs is when the progress throughout, and that's something this album does really well. This one starts off slow in the first verse and chorus, starts building up in the second, then finally lets loose in the bridge. The production is really fun here, fantastic song.

4. Phantom Pain (3/5):
So, as you may know, girl in red makes some interesting choices to spice up songs that sometimes pay off, but others don't. This song starts off good, but it gets really weird in the last minute, causing it to sound really odd. If she removed the last part, this would be a 5/5, but I can't ignore that part.

5. You Need Me Now? (feat. Sabrina Carpenter) (5/5):
We've arrived at the best song in the album. The production is so fun, and I love the post chorus she's basically rapping. Now the controversial part, Sabrina's intro. I think it's really silly and fun. Sabrina's part slaps, and I love how they mix the chorus and the last verse in the outro. Perfection, hope this smashes on radio.

6. A Night To Remember (5/5):
Halfway through! Another song where it gradually builds up. It starts off as a piano ballad then gets to a normal girl in red song. Another really solid song.

7. Pick Me (5/5):
A powerful piano ballad could either suck or be amazing. This one's amazing because it's not too slow and builds. You can tell I love song progression, right? The outro is also pretty majestic and cool. Anyways, this song is great.

8. Ugly Side (4/5):
This one reminds me of Heathens in a good way. She does kinda sound annoying though. It doesn't take away from the song too much though.

9. New Love (5/5):
This is just a really fun song that makes you wanna dance. It kinda reminds me of a Coldplay or OneRepublic song. One of my favorites off the album.

10. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5/5):
We finally reached the end. Probably the most interesting song. I love the rapping and the production. It seems like a song Kenya Grace or Tate McRae would record. The outro is fun too.

Overall Rating: 45/50 (90%)
On first listen, it wasn't that good. I guess going back and listening through it fully really helped. I really enjoyed this one. Expect to see more album reviews soon, like Fireworks and Rollerblades, and TTPD! Cya next time guys, and don't forget to submit for May Madness!

3 comments:

  1. If you're also reviewing TTPD like Hallett did, are you gonna be doing all 31 including the anthology, or just the main album?

    ReplyDelete